The amnio was a lot more painful that I would have ever expected it to be, and was definetly not prepared for it. It only lasted about 60 seconds, but I felt the needle penetrate through every inch of my skin and especially most when it went through my uterus.
The doctor also injected dye into the fluid just to be sure that I wasn't leaking fluid, so I had to wear a tampon for the next 6 hours. No fluid was being leaked as they predicted as they had already performed a couple of tests at the clinic, so this was good news.
6 days later we recieved the results of our amnio. Everything looked great, the baby did not have TS13, 18, 21 or any XY chromosomal issues. We were so excited and all hope was restored that our baby was going to be just fine. It was just a minor scare. We went away on vacation until the 12th of July, and had our follow up scheduled for the 14th. In the mean time, I continued to enjoy the pregnancy and drink as much water as possible. My husband had a great time on vacation and we were able to share our little one's heart beat with my family and friends while we were visiting. It was amazing to experience this with them. The baby's heart was so strong, we were sure everything was going to be okay. I of course was nervous that the amnio may have hurt the baby, but the doppler proved otherwise.
We returned from vacation well rested and excited. I went to work on the 14th in the morning, but had to leave early for our appointment.
We were waiting in the waiting room with the rest of the high risk women, I feel a little naive now, as i was nervous, but not scared. We got in to the ultrasound room, and low and behold our baby had grown in the past 2 weeks, just as expected, but was still the same amount behind as before.
The doctor came in and immediatly started talking to us about the severity of the lack of amniotic fluid. He stated, he cannot even locate any pockets to measure. At this gestational age, fluid is necessary for lung development. Our baby was already showing signs that the lungs were not developing as needed for survival. The abdomen chest ratio was below threshold, and baby was measuring small. There were no clear indications on the ultrasound what could have been causing the low fluid, the kept mentioning it could be the baby's kidneys, or a placental insufficiency, as the chromosomal tests all came back normal.
The doctor then proceeded to give us our options. Proceed with the pregnancy as is, keeping in mind the baby has a 1% chance of survival and even making it to term, terminate the pregnancy, or seek a second opinion. The termination option, is only an option up to 24 weeks, and I was currently 22 weeks. We didn't have much time to decide. We both left the office in complete shock, it didnt really hit us until we got to the car, where we both just broke down. This baby was also not the baby god wanted us to have. Something was wrong, we would not be taking this baby home with us in November.
We went home and contined to grieve that evening. Our hopes and dreams for this baby were being taken away from us again. I felt so stupid for thinking everything would be okay if we made it into the second trimester... I never could have imagined the magnitude that a 2nd trimester loss would have on us.
My husband and I decided to seek a second opinion, which was 6 days away. I remained in bed drinking as much water as I could in attempt for a miracle. On the 20th of July, we had our second opinion, and the doctor confirmed the first doctors diganosis. My husband and I did not want our child to suffer, we knew what we had to do, we had to say goodbye to our much wanted, loved, rainbow baby.




0 comments:
Post a Comment