Sunday, December 5, 2010

Surgery, Medicine and Decorating

On Friday I had a Hysterosonogram (HSN) to ensure my uterus is in tip top shape before our IVF cycle. The HSN procedure involves injecting saline into the uterus along with an ultrasound. This gives the doctor a great view of the uterus and lining to ensure the structure looks good to provide the best results for implantation after embryo transfer. My HSN showed that I have 2 largish polyps and as a result I need surgery to remove them before IVF. The doctor couldn't indicate what could have caused the polyps, but stressed for best IVF results they must be removed.

The surgical procedure is called Hysteroscopy. It is an outpatient surgery which will involve an anesthesia of some type, most likely a general, and a scope which will be used to view, cut and remove the polyps from my uterus. This procedure needs to be performed at a certain point in my cycle, so we'll have to wait until mid to late December. If there are no openings in December, then mid to late January.

While I feel like they are doing all they can to increase our odds of a successful IVF, and I'm thankful for this, I'm also starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of tuning up I need for my age.

As far as medication updates, I'm ready to increase my Metformin does from 1000mg to 1500mg, but I am traveling for work early this week, so for peace of mind, I'll wait until I'm in the comforts of my home before popping that third pill. So far, I'm doing as well as can be expected. My appetite is very minimal, and my stomach is almost always upset. I'm hopeful once I get up to the full 1500mg's it will only be a matter of time until my body is fully used to it and I don't even notice it anymore.

I've spent most of the weekend packing up all of our fall/harvest decorations and setting up the Christmas decorations. The tree is still thawing out, but I hope we can get it decorated tonight!

A few weeks back we bought a small 3' tree, which is and always will be Faith's tree. We received several Christmas ornaments for her throughout this year, so we decided we wanted her to have her own tree for all of these precious gifts. Decorating this tree will now be a part of our family Christmas tradition, and I look forward to the day when our children will help us adorn her tree and share in her memory.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I had a hysteroscopy back in October to remove a fibroid and it wasn't bad. Hopefully your procedure goes well. =)

Holly said...

I hope that it will go well and take care of the polyps so you can continue with the IVF.

It's nice you got Faith a tree. I had a separate tree last year but decided to put them all on the big tree this year. I guess I don't know what I'll do each year. Next year might be different!

Post a Comment