Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Decision

How we were going to start our family has been on the back of our minds since we recieved Faith's diagnosis. What makes most sense for us, what could we handle, and what couldn't we handle are both questions we had to answer. The answer to these questions will be so different for everyone who is faced with having to choose, but for us, we wanted to do everything we can to have a genetic child.



Seeing it written as a child is something i'm still learning to come to grips with. We always wanted at least 3 children, a big family. I think back to the us who wanted 3 children, we were so innocent to believe we were the ones who decided how many children we could bring into this world. Having a child is something which cannot be planned on my terms, our terms. We have to take it one day at a time, knowing it is so completly out of our control, and hope for the best. While we still dream for a large family, we will be incredibly grateful to have the chance to care for just one child.



Once we decided we were going to pursue the options available to us for genetic children, we had to decided which of those we would be able to "handle". I say handle in this way because, while I know things are out of our control, we were given 2 options, and we chose the path which gave us the best odds for concieving a healthy child. After 2 consecutive losses, I just can't imagine us going through it again, putting our families through it again, or learning mid pregnancy that things aren't going well, and our child may be disabled, and/or may not survive at all. At this time in our lives, we cannot handle the thought of loosing another child, having to make a difficult decision, or be faced with the stresses of an un healthy pregnancy, so we have decided to pursue In-Vitro Fertilization with pre-genetic implantation screening. We feel very fortunate to have this option at all.



Luckily for us, I work in Illinois where infertility treatment is required to be included as a part of my health insurance. I'm not sure of the specifics about what is/is not required, and what type of companies must comply, but luckily for us, I have a $20,000 lifetime coverage for IVF. This will cover at least 1 treatment, as IVF can range anywhere from 10,000-15,000. We hope our first treatment is successful, however, i'm trying to remain grounded knowing that it may not take.



Our insurance will not cover the pre-implantation screening, so we still have quite a bit of details to work out... but that being said, we have plenty of time.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I remember how good it felt to make a decision, and I'm so glad you have found the right one for you. By the way, I also am in IL! You'll have to email me and let me know where in IL you are. I'm guessing we're not in the same place since it sounds like you work in IL - I work in St. Louis, MO, as do most people who live where I do.

Anyway, I will pray that your first IVF attempt (whenever it is) will be successful as mine was. The good news is that if they are able to retrieve a lot of eggs and make lots of embryos, and if you have many that are unaffected by PGD, you can always freeze the healthy embryos for later use, and the cost of an FET is MUCH less than a fresh IVF cycle (one of the reasons we went the route we did). Plus, you wouldn't have to pay for PGD again. So your dream of having more than one children may still be attainable. I just wanted to pass that along in case you didn't already know. IVF can be a little overwhelming of a process if you are new to it, so please feel free to use me as a resource!

Heather said...

One more thing - you can donate the affected embryos to a medical study that is currently working to find a way to treat SLOS in the womb. Just something else for you to think about! If we had gone the IVF with PGD route, that is what we would've done.

Holly said...

Glad you have made a decision that is right for you and feel good about the choice you made. I hope that whenever you start the process that it is successful the first time.

Post a Comment